DIET AFTER PANCHA KARMA
After Pancha Karma, Ayurveda advises specific medicines that help increase the potency of the sperm and ovum and raise ojas (life energy). It also provides detailed guidance on diet.
In the Ayurvedic system of understanding the body, shukra dhatu is the final and deepest layer of body tissue (body constituent). It is considered one of the main repositories of strength, energy and prana in the body. It is, of course, present in both men and women. Semen in men and ova in women are produced from shukra dhatu. And when shukra dhatu is healthy the sperm and ova are healthy as well.
Shukra dhatu has a close affinity with kapha dosha. Any imbalance of kapha, whether related to food or life style, has a profound effect on shukra dhatu. Additionally, the food, lifestyle or behaviour that nourishes kapha, also nourishes shukra. The following foods nourish kapha
Ghee Khuskhus (poppy seeds)
Candy sugar Black raisins
Godambi Dry dates
These items, among foods, are potent enough that their nutrition reaches all the way to shukra
dhatu. Therefore they are categorized as foods that rejuvenate the body. These foods are sattvik
Milk, among the above mentioned, is easily obtained, and most nutritious, and is therefore considered best. The writers of the ancient Ayurveda texts describe milk as that which nourishes the dhatus, increases strength and potency, retains youth and provides general vigour to the body. Furthermore, it is mentioned that shukra dhatu is increased immediately on intake of milk.
To benefit in all these ways, both the man and woman preparing for conception should consume milk every day. It is even better to add dhatu-building and strengthening mixtures (they are like any other powdered/granulated milk additives and are called kalpas) to milk. Santulan Shatavari Kalpa is great for women, while Santulan Chaitanya Kalpa is beneficial for men, both easily available Santulan Ayurveda products.
Another easy food to obtain and use is almond. Soak 3-4 almonds in water overnight, and peel them in the morning before eating. These need to be chewed really well to obtain their full benefit.
Panchamrut is a great food that should also be taken in the morning before breakfast. It is an extremely important food. Please refer to the chapter called Special Recipes towards the end of the book to see how to prepare and use panchamrut. Freshly prepared as suggested and taken every day, panchamrut works as nectar. It boosts physical strength, intelligence, memory, grasping power, creativite abilities, improves complexion, and as such is ideal to help increase the quality of shukra in the body.
- Ghee – Indian food culture advises that some ghee should always be taken with meals to purify food even further. So people generally put only a couple of drops. However, if one wants to increase shukra dhatu before conception, at least two teaspoons of ghee need to be eaten along with every meal.
- Iron-providing food – Since women lose blood every month during menstruation, they should pay more attention to nutrition for creating rakta dhatu (blood). Dates, black raisins, pomegranate, soaked figs, and green leafy vegetables such as spinach should all be included in the woman’s diet
- Rejuvenating Tonics – Rejuvenating tonics are as important as food in the preparation for conception. Ayurveda stresses the importance of a number of herbs that improve the quality of shukra dhatu. Please refer to a list of herbs at the end of this book. Some of these are listed below.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Amla (Emblica officinalis)
- Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Kavachbeej (Mucuna pruriens)
- Vidari (Ipomoea digitata)
- Jyeshthamadha (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Bala (Sida cordifolia)
- Pimpli (Piper longum)Vanshlochan (Bambusa arundinaceae)
- Shingada (Trapa bispinosa)
- Durva (Cynodon dactylon).
For Women – The highly recommended rasayans we have for women are Santulan Dhatri Rasayan, San Rose and Santulan Shatavari Kalpa. Santulan Dhatri Rasayan is made from amla, grapes among other ingredients that promote rakta dhatu and shukra dhatu. San Rose contains several potent ingredients like mandur bhasma, suvarnamakshik bhasma and rose petals, and also nourishes rakta dhatu, provides calcium and balances proteins in the body.
For Men – Men are advised to consume rasayans such as Santulan Marrosan, Santulan Chaitanya and Santulan Prashant Churna. Jyeshtamadha churna with ghee and honey, followed by a cup of hot milk is also effective. All of these rasayans enhance the quality of the semen.